Friday, September 10, 2010

No Check cord!!!

Today is a great day for Gunner. After I worked this morning came home and had some lunch. Then decided to take Gunner to Naces Run to work his recall and burn some energy. Thom decided to come with Us. We usually go just us but it was nice to have him there. And Gunner was just so good. I took the check cord off today and let him loose. He went a few yards up the dirt road and stopped and waited for us to catch up then went about his business sniffing and all. He would go up a bit and wait or come back to us. I wanted to show how good he is about coming so I let him get up ahead and he looked back and I waved him on. Waited a minute or so and 2short blast on the whistle and back he comes flying. It was great he just slides to a stop right in front of us. Thom looked amazed. Then we went into the field. The leaves are starting to turn and there were alot of those little flying hopping grasshoppers around. we searched the field and didn't scare up anything so we went up the logging clear-cut path. Gunner leading and stopping and coming back. Checking all the bushes and brier patches for bird smell. We got to the big log across the path. I didn't say anything. Gunner looked at me and I just waved him on and he started running and just sailed over that log. It is thigh high on me and I'm 5'9"-5'10. He didn't even break stride. I heard Thoms slight intake of breath. I know he was worried he couldn't clear it. But he just flew over, ran up the hill and I whistled him back and he did it again on the down hill. Just a beauty. The field was warm and sunny and the wind was kickin' a bit. Didn't find any birds today. We started back to the road and I called Gunner and put him at the "Heel"..off Check Cord. Walked toward the dirt road and kept him at "heel" for about 3 or 4 minutes. Off leash then released him. He trotted up the road and we went to the car. We had some water. Gunner drank some and then did his usual lay on the bowl and make mud. Everyone piled int he car and Thom turned to me and said something so nice. ..."You've been working hard with him and it shows. He is amazing and I bet Ron (my training guy) would be surprised at just how good he is doing" Then he said we should stop at 2nd street feed and get Gunner a bell. It will make it easier to hear where he is in the bush and grass. Thom went in and ordered him one and it will be here Mon. It was a truly red letter day. I'm very proud of my Gunner and very Thankful for my great Hubby.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like a wonderful day! We are waiting for the leaves to turn here soon so we can go out hiking and take pictures! Have a great weekend! Lots of love, Debbie and Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you and Gunner are really coming along. Keep up the great work. Hopefully we can meet up sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete