Monday, August 9, 2010

A new week and a new focus...

I am going to really try to blog more and better. Today we re-started Gunners "heeling" After the Sat. training day and some..actually lots, of help from Ron B.
I am going to do the drills and get him heeling constantly. And when I saywe I mean Me. Went out to the West Side Park. Got parked and started out. Kept him at the heel until we got to the part that I wanted him to search for birds and run around. He did pretty well. Trying to remember to "pop" and sideways not up or back. I say it is Gunner learning but it is as much me learning.
We skirted the edge of the soybean field and the corn field. He had a nice point on some kind of brown bird and actually did not rush it and I got there and flushed it up. I also found the perfect more close spot to plant birds for him. Good cover but not too much and big enough so it is not just right in his face.
On the way back toward the car, I put him in Heel and started. He was still being bossy about it so we just went different ways and I also discovered the quickest way to get his attn. besides the "pop" is to change in direction right into him. He has to pay attn. or get stepped on. So we just took our time and he was doing really well by the time we got almost all the way back . So while he was going well. I stopped, he sat and then I told him he could check out the edge of the field to the car. It was really foggy and wet but at least at 7:30 a.m. it was cooler. Going to work birds hopefully Wed.
Pheasants are doing well and settling in.

3 comments:

  1. You are going to have the most well behaved Weim ever with all the training you guys do :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sagira, I figure since you are the best alility dog I will be the best hunting dog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see you back!! It looks like you are doing great too!! Lots of love, Debbie and Holly

    ReplyDelete